Nearly two months after the date, remnants still showcase the many events that marked the 250th birthday of the United States of America. Banners still wave at the tops of telephone poles, stickers still stick to the backs of pick-up trucks, and the Trump administration continues to host never-done-before events near the White House grounds.
The 250th celebration of the United States as we
know it came and went without any fanfare for my family or for me. It was a hot
weekend, with a heat advisory in effect until 8 pm on the holiday. There was a
parade in Sturbridge that was adequately advertised on the flashing police
department roadside signage for several weeks before the event. It might have
been written about in the local paper. I have fallen behind on my reading, and
most of those papers go into the recycling bin after only a cursory glance at
the article titles. I saw a weekly mention of a project by third graders at Burgess Elementary School, but I don't recall an article about the parade. I am not saying it wasn’t in there, only
that it didn’t jump out at me. The parade, held exactly one week before the big
holiday, only became a reality to me through a group text with friends. Two
were in attendance.
I don’t hate The 4th of July. I also can’t say I
love The 4th of July. I recognize it as the ironic beginning and end
of summer. When my kids were all still in school, the 4th was the
unofficial start of summer, especially when school got out late because of snow
days. In the years when we had a vacation planned, the 4th also felt
like the beginning, setting off a series of hot, sunny days that were counted
down until the day to pack the car. In the years with no vacation planned, the
holiday felt like a mild taunt. It marked summer activities, barbecues, and
revelry. It meant beach trips, getting together with friends, late nights on
the patio, and swimming in the pool. (Or floating for me.) And as the sun set
and the boom of fireworks could be felt on all sides of the house, with the
occasional spark somewhere off in the sky, it also signaled the end of summer.
It was “here,” but if you weren’t careful and made plans to actually get out
and do any of the summer things you thought you would do when the air was cold
and frosty three months earlier, you were going to miss summer. It would be
over, laments filling your head, and you’d plan for next year to be better.
I have only seen fireworks on the 4th of July maybe
ten times in my whole life! The hassle of driving somewhere, parking, walking
to where you could see them, and setting up a blanket or standing for the
designated time has usually beaten out my desire to mark the holiday in that
explosive way.
And then there is the actual meaning of the holiday to
contend with: Freedom. Independence.
Whose freedom and independence?
“Not mine,” my friend Dwayne told me in college. As a Black
man, he was not inclined to celebrate a holiday that earmarked a time in
history when our people were not free. 250 years later, there are too
many facts, situations, events, and deaths that conclude our freedom has not
yet been fully gained.
And yet, I am also aware that the very day and its meaning
are not lost as a concept or an actual precipitation of those rights for all
men and women. Have we come a phenomenally long way since 1776? Yes. As a
country, are we still far from the equality that most of us equate to freedom? Many
more Brown people believe than white people would say: Absolutely. Do we need to continue working
hard to bring about a universal celebration of freedom and independence? YES.
So, the dominoes must fall. In a long domino run, there is a
trigger, a first step, that sets the fall in motion. There is anticipation and
excitement as the run flows. It creates an energy that builds and consumes all
who watch its progress.
Every step, leap, change, and tragedy is another domino.
Sometimes a domino is placed back up in its standing position, blocking the
domino run's progress. And so again, the toppling of dominoes begins.
For People of Color in the United States, July 4th
understandably may not hold the honor, pride, and gratitude that it does for
many white people. I am not against celebrating the day because I see it as a
domino in our history. We couldn’t be here today without that first domino
falling. I could not be sitting here today, writing this, if not for that
domino. I am a woman of color. I can vote. I own property. I can run for public
office. I pay taxes. All because dominoes fell.
Next year, instead of wondering if I’ll see fireworks, maybe
I’ll set up a domino line in my home, and have fun with the analogy, letting
the domino effect play out visually. There is extraordinary hope built into the
tension of the precarious and precise placement of each tile. It is delightful
to watch. It is a belief in allegiance. It is honorable to work towards.
So, we work. We stay committed. We celebrate when we achieve.
I am confident that the United States of America can
continue its history of toppling dominoes…One century, one decade, one year,
one month, one week, one day, one moment, at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment