Monday, August 28, 2023

Hot In Here

 

“It’s getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes!”

-Nelly:  “Hot in Here”

Anxiety Sweat and Hot Flashes:  Why I always stand with my hands on my hips.


The Secret brand deodorant commercial references the difference between anxiety sweat and regular sweat. Anxiety sweat is wetter and quicker to flow than the sweat of a hot day, a Tabata workout or great sex. Fortunately, anxiety sweat doesn’t smell like the rest of them, at least not initially. The body, heated up by physical exertion and performing manual labor, produces sweat that exudes from the pores and combines with the air, the atmosphere, and the fibers of our clothes to create a scent that is usually not very appealing. Anxiety sweat on the other hand is 80% water and 20% fat and proteins, forced through the pores of our skin in a rush of “Holy shit! This sucks! I must get out of here!” Sweat is literally escaping our bodies like the body and the mind would like to do in an anxious situation. Anxiety sweat leaves your shirt – and underwear – full of sweat. The sweat itself is largely odorless. The smell arrives when the sweat meets bacteria. Anxiety sweat, because of those fats and proteins, is thicker than regular sweat, so it takes longer to evaporate, giving it more time to mingle with any local bacteria.

I suffered through so many anxiety sweats in my life I could never attempt to catalog them, chronologically or alphabetically. They appeared when I presented oral reports in class and again when I interviewed for prospective jobs. I was sweating on my wedding day in a sleeveless gown on a bright, January afternoon the day after an ice storm, with snow on the ground. Anxiety and its salty shadow forced me to wear a long sleeve shirt with cotton sweat catchers in the armpits when I attended my first in-person writing group, and any home-sales parties hosted by a neighbor.

I don’t remember when anxiety sweat became a thing for me. I have had anxiety my entire life, so I presume that sweat was a part of that life, as well. I know that I have never been an overly smelly person, so that has been a saving grace. My older sister Candice had to deal with heavy sweats as frequently as my younger sister Kelli had to deal with heavy periods. I was fortunate enough to have four and a half day periods before children, and three and a half day periods post child-rearing. In my later years, I finally traded an easy menstrual cycle for the hot and heavy drenching of profuse sweating.

I remember being at a book club meeting one night in the early fall and had to ask my hostess for a clean t-shirt to replace the shirt I was wearing. She asked me if I was having hot flashes. I was in my early forties, so I replied, “No, they’re not hot flashes. I just get sweaty, very quickly.”

With a firm and honest tone, she replied, “Honey, that’s a hot flash.”

It took me a few more years to admit that I was having hot flashes. I suppose that is a pattern with me. It took me several years to admit that I had anxiety. Imagine that…it took me a long reflection to admit to the two different things that left me feeling hot, flushed, tired and wanting to run away from whatever I was encountering in the current moment.

Like understanding that I fall asleep easily in a moving car, or recognizing that patience is not my virtue, I finally accepted sweating as a fact of everyday life. Menopause has elevated not only the frequency, but the annoyance of sweat in my everyday life. If hot flashes are the result of hormonal changes in our bodies, and we don’t take hormone replacements, then it would stand to reason that the hot flashes are here to stay with me. At least until the hormones decide to stop dancing about in my system with abandon.

A few years ago, my therapist recommended that I adopt a “stance” for when Ed and I get into uncomfortable conversations. She explained that if I had a go-to stance, I could relax into it, despite the challenging environment, and find comfort in the stance, as well as not appearing antagonistic to Ed. At first, I thought the casual “hands-held-loosely, clasped behind the back” was the most inobtrusive, yet assertive. One casual disagreement and I found myself having to change my shirt because clasping my hands behind my back kept my arms close to my body. That meant no air to the pits. The same happened when I clasped my hands down low in front of my body. For obvious aggressive-appearing reasons as well, crossing my arms across my chest was not an option.

I settled on standing with my feet just a little wider than hips-width, with my hands on my hips. I felt it offered an air or confidence, but not superiority; casual, but not unconcerned. And yes, it gave my body air. BINGO! I had my stance!

The irony that a hand on the hip is also the best way to avoid looking like you have a side of beef for an arm in a photograph, makes this stance my go-to in just about any situation. I have prided myself on the tone and firmness of my biceps and triceps for most of my adult life. What I lack in height and boobs I make up for in arms and shoulders. But the older I get, the harder it is to keep them looking muscular and lean, not just big. When the camera clicks, a breezy hand on the hip camouflages the breadth of the muscles.

So, if you see me standing with my hands on my hips, you can discern where I am emotionally and psychologically with just a subtle distinction. Both hands on my hips? I’m probably feeling anxious, and you might want to keep your distance until the moment passes. Once hand on my hip and I’m ready for some pictures. No hands on my hips but I look like I’m ready to pass out? Then please hand me one of my pink fans. Sometimes it gets too hot in here too quickly, and no one really wants me to take off all my clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment