Sunday, August 20, 2023

Let Your Soul Be in Control

A few years ago, because of some work Ed and I were doing to strengthen our marriage, I decided to write a personal Mission Statement. I have revised that statement once within the last year, and today I decided that it still needs a little tweaking. As the days pass that I find I am reaching inside myself for strength, comfort, and focus, I realize how useful my personal mission statement has become.

Today, while sitting outside by the pool, I was restless. It is not unusual for me to be restless in the calming and beautiful environment of my own backyard. I find it hard on many days to relax into “down time.” My mind races and I am constantly thinking of all the things I am “supposed” to be doing instead of doing the fun and relaxed thing.

A part of my mission statement is to approach life with a yoga mindset, to “remember to be present, to breathe through challenges and to find the connection between my mind, body, heart, and soul.”

As I lay outside today – fidgeting – I was wishing the thirty-minute timer on my phone would go off so I could go inside and get something to eat before flipping over on to my stomach to get some sun on my back. I then thought about my desire to incorporate the mindfulness of yoga into my day.

The first place I started was with my body:  it was already present where I wanted it to be. My heart wanted to be there as well:  I spent the week cleaning, and the house virtually didn’t need anything done today. On the other hand, my brain was not letting my body and heart settle into the moment. My anxious brain was questioning whether I had really done enough housework this week. My anxious brain also wondered if I was a “bad” friend for cancelling time with a friend so that I could stay home alone by my pool. And further, I was contemplating a new venture that presented itself to me today, that could be a great platform for moving forward in my writing and getting exposure. (More on that in a later post!)

Theoretically I knew that I was deserving of  down time. It was a gorgeous Sunday afternoon. The Pool was clean. I also knew that my To Do List was at a place where I could take a break and the universe was not going to implode.

Rejuvenation comes in many forms:  a cold shower, a good sweat, a massage, laughter with friends, or a quiet bath with candles and cello music playing in the background. I feel rejuvenated when I let myself do the things that I normally push off the To Do List because I feel obligated to do something else around our home or be present for other people. So, I finally addressed my soul. What did it want?

It wanted to lay in the sun, bask in the 75+ degree weather of an August afternoon and listen to the waterfall that is the showcase piece of our pool.

So, I listened to my soul, and I settled into my lounge chair. I took a deep cleansing breath, held it for a few seconds, and I exhaled slowly. I told myself, “Let your soul be in control.”

It was at once relaxing, freeing and exhilarating! We often tell other people and ourselves to follow the heart. Additionally, we say to follow your “gut.” But we also tell people to think things through and do the “smart” thing.

I am going to move forward in the next couple of days and see if my soul is a better captain than my mind, my body, or my heart. In the end, who we are at our core always presents itself and pushes us to make the smart move, follow our gut and listen to our heart. It is our soul that truly guides us.

No comments:

Post a Comment