Thursday, August 24, 2023

Maybe I Am Angelica Schuyler at Heart

In 2021 into 2022, I spent the better part of that academic year listening to the soundtrack of Hamilton. Miranda plugged her phone into my AUX cord each morning she got into my car. As we headed out of Sturbridge and towards Worcester where she attended her senior year at Quinsigamond Community College as a Dual Enrollment student, we settled in for her favorite tunes. The collection included songs from Moana and Lilo & Stitch. There was even an occasional tune from Tangled and Hercules. But the majority of Miranda’s playlist was from Hamilton.

At the time, I had seen Hamilton twice, once in Harford, CT and once in New York City. It struck me then as the phenomenon the world fawned over, and yet my obsessed middle daughter had never seen the show. She came across the music and reveled in the story from her perspective, creating the performance of a lifetime in her own head. The version of the show she listened to was from the original cast. It became such a passion of hers that by Christmas of that school year she was determined never to see the show live! She couldn’t fathom that any other cast could do justice to the story the way she heard it from the original cast. By February I had convinced her to watch the recorded version available on HBO+ that was the original cast, “live” and in person, spittle from Jonathan Groff free of charge.

I discovered two things that year. I realized that I really do miss a lot of the story when I am watching a movie or a play. There is something to be said for viewing a show multiple times to put the entire story together. Additionally, listening to the soundtrack repeatedly allows the story to settle in from each character’s perspective. I finally understand Hamilton from listening to it, not watching it.

The second thing I learned is not as simplistic, positive, or endearing, although it is more important. I learned that I have “never satisfied” tendencies. At first it made me laugh to think about it. Then I progressed to puzzled, into anger, back to puzzled and finally I am left with a mild sense of defeat and pessimism.

Last Sunday my husband and I got into an argument about expectations. He questioned whether I notice all the things he does to bring closeness into our marriage. Of course I notice. I thank him when he unloads the dishwasher. When he asks if I want to watch a movie, I say yes. I accept the offer for him to make me a drink. I notice.

But do I?

Is there more that he is doing and I’m just not seeing it? Am I going about my day with such dogged determination to cross things off my To Do List that I am not seeing all the efforts that might be swirling around me? Is that why I still feel alone and lonely in bed at night next to the man I love? Am I not noticing, or am I noticing, and I just want more? Am I not satisfied with the effort that Ed is putting forth? And what does it feel like to be satisfied?

There are a lot of questions. I struggle to find the answers. The reality is that I make a concerted effort to both notice the things Ed does for me and to acknowledge them. The reality is also that I am still left feeling like something is missing from our marriage. I believe my own efforts to cultivate intimacy are strong and consistent. Ed notices many of them, acknowledging them with a thank you, an explanation as to why it meant something to him, or a hug. And there are the efforts that he doesn’t acknowledge. Did that mean he didn’t notice it, or he just didn’t think to acknowledge it and express appreciation? If I ask him about the ones he doesn’t acknowledge, is that undoing the good that I was trying to create by doing it in the first place? Am I creating a self-defeating scenario by “calculating” any of our actions in the first place?

So, I am left to wonder if I am being seen, understood, and appreciated. I am left to wonder if my efforts are sinking in or bouncing off him. I question whether I am letting things slide past me unseen, as those efforts from Ed fall flat. Compounding the discomfort of those questions is the reality that he could honestly be doing all the work I think I need, and I am somehow still not feeling it.

Will I ever be satisfied?

No comments:

Post a Comment